The Maria Montessori philosophy concentrates on developing in our children a true love of learning.
Dr. Montessori saw that children did not in fact need to "be taught," but that learning was a natural process - something that we are born with that helps us to find a sense of excitement, meaning and purpose in our lives.
Children have an innate sensitivity towards their own development. What we so often call play is a young child's work, and it is by giving children increasing independence to work within their environment that we allow them to maximize their development.
The child is provided with challenges and obstacles suitable to their abilities and enjoys working at a pace and level suited for the child's needs. The child works with peers of varying ages in the same classroom stimulating academic and social growth, giving the child an understanding of abstract experiences. The Montessori child confidently develops socially, mentally, and physically.
The Montessori environment is a joyous place to be.We offer each child an environment rich in opportunities for exploration and discovery; within which they can fulfill their developmental potential as an individual and as a member of a group. We aim to serve the immediate needs of our children in our care, while providing them with a foundation for the future. There is no limit to what your child can learn and do. The environment offers the child limitless, unique educational materials.
In this they are helped by the sensitivity of our staff whose expertise lies in knowing the interests and abilities of each child and in ensuring that they are challenged and nurtured as individuals.
Individual materials permit a varied pace and accomodate many levels of ability. The materials isolate the difficulty for the child so he can focus and develop his ability to discriminate. Each exercise has a control of error that allows the child to control his own errors. The exercises perfect the tools of learning and make abstract ideas concrete.
Through the use of the materials, the child will develop his/her coordination, attention to details and good work habits.
The child's interest and needs are keenly observed and lovingly responded to by our qualified and talented Montessori directress. To help your child realize his full potential, certain principles infuse the environment. The directress provides a stimulating and beautiful environment for the child to function constructively. She allows the child to perform so that self-knowledge, independence, confidence, and a love of learning flow freely.
- Every child is a unique person with creative potential, the drive to learn and the right to be treated with respect as an individual
- As children are profoundly affected by society and their immediate surroundings, we create an environment in harmony with the child's natural development
- Children must be given freedom to work and move around within guidelines that enable them to see themselves both independent and part of a group
- Montessori materials help children to explore and master their environment through activities which aid in the development of the whole personality
- Children are encouraged to work at their own pace, either individually or in cooperation with others
- Mixed aged groups provide opportunities for children to develop their social abilities within the harmonious community which is the King's Town Montessori
- Children are carefully observed on a regular basis, both individually and as a group, to assist their full development